DevOps (development and operations) is a popular technology solution today. Thanks to its secure software delivery and improved user satisfaction. Due to its numerous benefits, it’s unsurprising that many businesses are adopting DevOps methodology and seeking DevOps engineers to be part of their teams.
Read on to learn more about the DevOps engineer skills required to thrive in this IT field: https://aw.club/global/en/blog/work/devops-skill-set.
These skills encompass coding expertise, network knowledge, and proficiency in containerization, among others. Let’s dive in!
Essential DevOps Engineer Skills Required
- Linux Fundamentals Knowledge: This ranks first on the list of top skills for a DevOps engineer due to its widespread use. Furthermore, it’s the most preferred operating system for hosting DevOps applications. DevOps engineers should know how to navigate Linux systems, including fundamentals like system administration, file handling, and text processing. With this knowledge, DevOps engineers can deploy software and manage performance.
- Knowledge of Relevant Tools and Technologies: As a DevOps engineer, you need to familiarize yourself with essential tools and technologies such as version control, continuous integration servers, network protocols, infrastructure orchestration, etc. These tools help you understand deployment processes, networking concepts, and automation.
3 Scripting Skills: Scripting skills are next on the DevOps engineer skills list. You need to be proficient in one or more scripting languages to automate various processes, streamline workflows, and improve overall efficiency. By writing scripts, you can identify and resolve bugs as soon as they occur.
- Cloud Skills: Today, Most businesses leverage cloud computing to scale and respond to changing market demands. As a DevOps engineer, you should have a solid knowledge of cloud systems, including AWS, GPC, and Azure. With this knowledge, DevOps engineers can collect and analyze data in real-time, monitor systems performance, and resolve issues promptly.
- Security Skills: These are required skills for DevOps engineers since security needs to be incorporated into the development lifecycle. Thus, they need to understand security best practices to ensure secure software releases and reduce risks of cyber threats.
- Testing Skills: Every DevOps engineer needs to possess testing skills to ensure that infrastructures and applications meet quality standards. You should know the various testing skills like unit testing, integration testing, performance testing, and deployment testing.
- Containerization Skills: DevOps engineers need to get acquainted with container-related tools, including Docker and Kubernetes, to execute their jobs effectively. Knowing how these tools work helps you ensure applications are deployed across various environments.
- Continuous Integration & Continuous Deployment (CI/CD): Continuous integration and continuous deployment are essential practices that DevOps engineers must learn. They should possess expertise in implementing CI/CD pipelines to automate, build, and deploy applications for reliable software delivery.
- Communication and Collaboration Skills: Communication and collaboration are crucial to executing best practices in any career, including DevOps. Effective communication, regular feedback, and teamwork are crucial for the efficient deployment of DevOps methodology. DevOps engineers can share ideas, discuss solutions, and work together to achieve common goals and produce tangible results.
How to Build DevOps Engineer Skills
So, we’ve mentioned the top skills for DevOps engineers. Now, how can you develop these skills? Here’s how to build DevOps job skills with the following:
Many resources, free or paid, are available on the internet for your learning process. You can check YouTube for free resources or purchase courses on Udemy or Coursera to learn more about DevOps.
Join a Community
Joining a community can make learning easier and more enjoyable. You can gain more insights on resolving issues you may encounter or learn a better way to code.
To develop expertise and build a successful career in DevOps, consider obtaining certifications like CompTIA Security+, Certified Kubernetes Administrator, CompTIA Cloud+, etc.
DevOps engineer skills required to manage IT infrastructure include containerization skills, cloud Skills, testing skills, etc. Whether you’re learning security practices or getting certifications, equipping yourselves with the skills listed above will facilitate your success in DevOps. Remember that learning is a life-long process. Keep at it, and you’re on your way to becoming an expert.